Saturday, May 31, 2008

Godspeed You! Black Emperor-Life Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2000)

Second full-length release from Canada's post-rock champions, Godspeed You! Black Emperor. This album, as one will notice, has a slightly more uplifting and triumphant feel to the music, but there are still moments of incredible despair and stark bleakness. Overall, this album creates crescendos from minimalist, beautiful delicacy, to absolutely soaring, spectacular, all-encompassing roars of music, creating such an emotionally involving and moving listen. This album is also styled, in a sense, after a four-movement symphony, both structurally and conceptually. I cannot begin to explain how rewarding these releases are... you must just take my word for it. HIGHLY recommended. Constellation. 

Disc 1
1. Storm  22:32
I. Lift Yr. Skinny Fists, Like Antennas to Heaven...  6:15
II. Gathering Storm/Il Pleut a Mourir [+Clatters Like Worry]  11:10
III. Welcome to Arco AM/PM... [L.A.X.; 5/14/00]  1:15
IV. Cancer Towers on Holy Road Hi-Way  3:52
2. Static  22:35
I. Terrible Canyons of Static  3:34
II. Atomic Clock.  1:09
III. Chart #3  2:39
IV. World Police and Friendly Fire  9:48
V. [...+The Buildings They Are Sleeping Now]  5:25

Disc 2
1. Sleep  23:17
I. Murray Ostril: '...They Don't Sleep Anymore on the Beach...'  1:10
II. Monheim  12:14
III. Broken Windows, Locks of Love Pt. III  9:53
2. Antennas to Heaven  18:57
I. Moya Sings 'Baby-O'...  1:00
II. Edgyswingsetacid  0:58
III. [Glockenspiel Duet Recorded on a Campsite in Rhinebeck, N.Y.]  0:47
IV. 'Attention...Mon Ami...Fa-Lala-Lala-La-La...' [55-St. Laurent]  1:18
V. She Dreamt She Was a Bulldozer, She Dreamt She Was Alone in an Empty Field  9:43
VI. Deathkamp Drone  3:09
VII. [Antennas to Heaven...]  2:02

Total Running:  87:21

Canada

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just bought this album today! It's pretty good so far.
I've been listening to GSYBE on the net for a while and I decided to get this album finally.
I do really like the song "Dead Flag Blues". Talk about haunting.
I found this blog by searching for images on Google.
Now I'm using this picture for mine. Ironic.

Unknown said...

this album changed my life

Anonymous said...

dead link :(

Anonymous said...

Dead link :(


Esko mattila syö ruokaa roskakorista lauantaina, jos vain kantti kestää ;)